Ladders require careful use and should only be used for jobs that are short in duration (30 minutes or less) and allow the user to maintain 3 points of contact.
- Pre use inspection
- Position ladder for safe access and out the way of other hazards such as vehicals
- Place ladder on a firm level base and positioned at an angle of 75 degrees (1 unit horizontally to 4 units vertically).
- The base of the ladder must be footed or weighted. Were possible the ladder should be tied at the top.
- Ladders being used for access should extend 1 metre above the landing place
- Maintain 3 points of contact
- Do not overreach
- Do not overload the ladder
- Dont have more that one person on the ladder at the same time
- Don’t work off the top 3 rungs
- Dont ever place the ladder within 6m of overhead power lines