When assessing the load you should consider:
- The weight of the load. The heavier the load the higher the risk of injury
- The size and shape of the load. This will affect how the load can be held. Larger items may be harder to hold
- The texture or surface of the load. Smooth or round loads may be harder to hold and handle
- Is the load sharp or hot and have the potential to cause harm? This may require the use of gloves and the load to be held in a different position
- Does the load have the potential to move or shift during transport? A sudden movement may cause the load to be dropped or place increased stress on the handler
- The weight distribution of the load. If the load is heavier on one side it may require a different method of transport.