The Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998 (LOLER)
LOLER places duties on people and companies who own, operate or have control over lifting equipment. This also includes any equipment used to lift people. There is a wide range of equipment used to lift people for work at hight tasks such as Mobile Elevated Work Platforms (MEWP’s).
LOLER’s requirements ensures all lifting equipment is:
- Sufficiently strong, stable and suitable for the proposed use
- Visibly marked with any information that’s required for its safe use
- All lifting operations must be properly planned by a competent person, appropriately supervised and carried out in a safe manner.
- Any equipment used for lifting people should be safe for such purposes and marked accordingly
- Equipment must be thoroughly examined before its first use
- Lifting equipment used to lift people must be thoroughly examined at least every 6 months
- Following a thorough examination or inspection of any lifting equipment, a report is submitted by a competent person to the employer to take the appropriate action